Learning and Teaching
Special Educational Needs Coordinator leading the Student Support Team to collaborate with other subject panels
- to devise support plans, adapt the curriculum and learning and teaching strategies, and provide special examination and assessment arrangements, etc., for students with special educational needs (SEN);
- to facilitate incorporation of elements of support for students with SEN into the curriculum and learning and teaching strategies through arrangements such as collaborative lesson preparation, co-teaching and lesson study, and to lead teachers in deploying effective support strategies to enhance the learning effectiveness of students with SEN.
Strategies and Support Measures
(1) Curriculum adaptation
- When students with SEN encounter difficulties in coping with the curriculum, schools should consider adapting the curriculum, e.g. adjusting the learning content and teaching strategies for certain subjects.
(2) Support strategies for learning and teaching
- Differentiated Teaching is of utmost importance in supporting students with SEN. Teachers need to understand students’ learning styles and adopt various pedagogies and remedial strategies to reinforce their participation in learning and enhance learning effectiveness. For example, teachers can apply evidence-based teaching strategies suitable for students with SEN in conducting whole class or group teaching and keep track of their learning progress continuously. In addition, schools should provide appropriate support for students with SEN by adopting the 3-tier Intervention Model so that they can overcome the learning barriers and realise their potential.
- Understanding and Supporting Children with Special Educational Needs - Guidelines for Teachers (Chinese version only)
(3) Assessment policy and special examination arrangements
- Schools can deploy diversified modes to adjust the modes of assessments and provide special examination arrangements (SEA) according to the needs of students with SEN.
- Schools should pay attention to the correspondences issued by the Hong Kong Examination and Assessment Authority and apply for SEA for their students in open examinations before the deadline.
- Special Arrangements for Internal Examinations for Students with Special Educational Needs
- Frequently Asked Questions on Special Examination Arrangements for Students with Special Educational Needs